Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Room for a Little One - Martin Waddell & Jason Cockroft

I thought it apt to add my favourite children's book in here today. It's called Room for a Little One, and is one of the most beautiful interpretation's of the Christmas story, that I have ever seen.

It is told from the perspective of the animals who sheltered in the Bethlehem stable on that cold winter's night many moons ago. It is simple, yet descriptive, and captures the magic completely. The first time I read it, my voice cracked as I read the last few pages. It touched my soul.

Story aside though, it is the illustrations that will capture your child's imagination. They look as though they might be watercolours, or maybe even air-brushed, but my untrained eye might be wrong. Suffice to say, they are gorgeous and my children adore them spending time just gazing.

This is a book that will be treasured and enjoyed by my family for years to come, and now that my daughter is old enough to sit quietly and enjoy being read to properly, I can't wait to share it with her.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this book. It is presently sitting next to me, I read it to my little ones tonight. I will have to get hold of a copy and read it as the Advent unfolds at the end of the year. It is a beautiful perspective of the advent story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. actually anything my Martin Waddell makes good children's reading. He's a great author

    ReplyDelete